1. A small office printer should have a reasonable printing speed. Machines with lesser speeds are meant for personal use and not for offices. It should possess a sufficiently large media capacity. It is better to have more than one trays to ensure a media capacity of at least 150 sheets. The paper capacity up to 600 sheets is appropriate.
2. You must make sure that the machine can be shared by a group of users and is not meant for individual use. In general, small office printers can be shared by groups of 7 to 10 users.
3. You should make sure that the machine you select has a sufficiently high duty cycle ranging from 20,000 to 25,000 pages.
4. It should be able to print onto multiple media types. It should be able to print on plain paper, cards, envelopes, labels and transparencies.
5. Important feature that your small office printer must possess is small size and less weight. The machine must be compact and multifunction.
6. Quiet operation is necessary for a small office computer and it should have a high resolution. It must have a printing resolution of 1200 dpi into 600 dpi or 1200 dpi into 1200 dpi.